Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2017 chevy malibu when I brought it in march of…

Customer Question
I have a 2017...

I have a 2017 chevy malibu when I brought it in march of 2017 it had 8 miles on it and now it has 24,000 miles and 2 days ago my egine light came on warning me that engine power loss and my car wouldn't go pass 30 miles lucky I was 2 minutes from my house. it never did that before what could that mean its running a little funny

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No Im taking ot to the shop today could i need anitfreeze

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

No im not fixing it myself had to drive to work last night but it just happen yesterday

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/8/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 6 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall. I am reviewing your question now and will reply shortly. You may see a popup for phone call request, That is not from me but rather the site. We can keep in the chat format or a call if you prefer.Call is an option not required. Thanks. Back shortly

OK, to be honest? no way fro anyone to say what the problem is to set light and why it is running litttle rough, What has happened is the computer detected a problem like say a misfire and it set the check engine light, The next thing that happens is the computer puts the car into what is called "limp mode" this means it will stay in one gear and you can not drive fast, The computer does that to shut some things down till you can have looked at and is a 911 mode to still allow a drive to a shop.It could be something very simple . The ONLY way to know where the problem is? the trouble codes need to be scanned. Parts stores will do this for free or any shop can, Yours is still under warranty so a shop will do the scan, It will say a trouble code number and that tells the shop where the problem is, Once they fix and or clear the trouble code? it will shift fine again. You? one can remove the battery cables for say 90 seconds, put them back on and many times this will clear the code and it will go back to running and shifting, The only problem with that si now the shop has no code to see where the problem wass when it set the light, Your ok to drive it but will not shift properly so loss of power like you know, Its enough to get to a shop to have looked at. Wish I knew what happened but till I have a trouble code? it is a guess, Hope this all makes sense

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required . Rating includes any follow-up questions you may have once you leave feedback rating. Free trials and member questions still require a service rating
Thank you so much!Randall