Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just replaced the radiator on 98 Chevy Venture. Have one…

Customer Question
Just replaced the radiator...

Just replaced the radiator on 98 Chevy Venture. Have one long wire with a two prong connector coming from the passenger side front of vehicle that can easily stretch all the way to the driver's side. Can't find what to plug it back into??

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?

I'll need to look for that in the daylight. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Venture yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the radiator which required a very significant amount of disassembly to get to it. Everything back in place except this one very long cable line.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Wait on connecting me until I look closer in the morning. Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/7/2018
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

what color is the wire

2 wires in single connector. Blue and grey wires. Connector has a blue base and white connector. Wires housed in a corrugated plastic protective sheath. The line is about 3+ feet long with plastic clips that look like they would hook into the top frame piece above the radiator. It's source is just under the passenger side fuse box, teeing off from a larger bundle. Can easily extend across to the drivers side. I can send photos if that would be helpful.

yes, could you please?

Pictures of the wire
The Connector.JPGThe Con...JPGThe connector side view.JPGThe con...JPGThe clip (2 each).JPGThe cli...JPGThe source.JPGThe sou...JPG

ok, this may take a while but Im on it.

you are positive one is blue and one is gray?

3.4 engine?

blue and grey. 3.4 liter

thank you

Would pics from further back be helpful? Or a video

no, Ill find it

that looks like black and grey. could you clean a section of the wires for me

are both cooling fan motors connected?

No. Only the driver's side is installed. Need to get a replacement for passenger side. However, their is only one connection point on the missing fan unit and it is a couple of spade connections.
Cleaned the wires. They are blue and black

see if that connector fits. ill keep looking

The connector to the missing fan is also not connected. It is a lighter blue and black and much heavier gauge wire spade connectors.

ok

This is a pin style connection with a rectangular key slot in the middle between the pins. Looks like 16-18 gauge.

ok

this one got me bamboozled. I'll opt out and see if anyone else can find it

Thanks for trying. Its got me bamboozled as well.
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

I think that connector is for an ambient air temp sensor. The connector on your car was not connected to anything. You can tell that by the green corrosion on the plug and the weathering on the white part of the connector. All car manufacturers will have mystery harnesses just tied up and clamped on different parts of the car. The harness on your car is probably the same as a pontiac transport. So at this stage I would just tie it off to the core support. Since you had a lot of disassembly it is easy to loose track of all the bits and pieces. I have been doing this a long time and still get caught sometimes. By the look of those clips the harness ran along the top of the radiator

Thanks, Peter. You are probably correct. There are hole is the cross-frame above the radiator that perfectly match the location of the clips on the wire, but that leaves about 16 inches of wire to the connector and I can't see anything in that radius to connect it to. I will reassemble everything tomorrow without the wire and give it a go. Hope the new radiator fixes the initial issue which was a wildly erratic Temp Gauge combined with erratic heat coming from the heater vents. I fear a head gasket, but see no bubbling into the coolant, no loss of coolant and no sign of coolant in the oil. Praying for a plugged radiator or bad thermostat.

On your initial problem. When you replaced the radiator did you notice if the old rad was heavier than the new one? As the radiator fills with debris they will gain weight. The 3.4 was never the strongest engine in the world, but it looks like it could have been a restriction problem that you were having. I dont think you have a head gasket problem. No boiling or oil mixing problems. I have replaced a few radiators on GM"s for the same problem. Replace the t-stat to. I think there is a bleed screw on the passenger front of the engine, to make sure all the air is out of the cooling system. The air will hang in the heater core and also give erratic temp readings. You can get back to me if you need more help, if you like.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician