Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1992 Silverado 1500 5.7 RWD W-A/C. No heat. I have hot water…

Customer Question
1992 Silverado 1500 5.7...

1992 Silverado 1500 5.7 RWD W-A/C. No heat. I have hot water going into the core, and cold out. Replaced thermostat 3 times. I flushed the heater core, flows well, but does not flow enough through the core. I flushed it with tap water and blew through it, it passed through easily. Also the temperature gauge goes up and down, but the cooling system is liquid full. Put 125 miles at ~70mph yesterday, still very little heat. When you switch the doors, it seems to switch properly, and you loose what little heat you get. The flow through the core is my issue, but I can't figure out why I have low flow. I am ready to replace the water pump, and even change the route of the return hose to the water pump vs. the radiator. No heater shut off valve on this truck, but a lot of items were missing on this when we got it. .

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

The first two thermostats were Duralast, and one I did place in hot water, I was getting flow through the thermostat at low temperatures. That is why I replaced it the second time. Then when that one didn't seem to work, I had my son go to another supplier, NAPA, but they only had "economy" parts available. If I drain the coolant level in the radiator and look at the outlet from the heater core, there is almost no flow through the core unless I hit 2000 or so RPM. Then it will pump out about 2" from the outlet. This is the only way I can get any heat, but it is minimal. Normal driving, does not hit that RPM for long, but like I said, last night at 70mph, it was about 2100 RPM. At 0 degF outside, not nearly enough water passing through the core for heat. Stopped and opened the hood, same thing, hot hose going in, almost cold coming out. I am pulling all of the heat out of the water that is flowing through. Steve

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

See previous message, thanks!!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 3 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, when the truck is hot, are both hoses hot at the heater core???

when you command cold and hot, can you hear the blend door move???

Roy

No, only the inlet.

ok. you said the coolant was full. did you bleed the system???

if there is no air in the system and you only have 1 hot hose, then the core is the issue. it is not circulating enough coolant.

Roy

do you still need any help???

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest