Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The battery died, once i jump started it my radio now shows…

Customer Question
The battery died, once...

The battery died, once i jump started it my radio now shows "locked"

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

83,000 never happened before. Its a 2015 equinoz

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '83 Chevy?

2015 chevy equinox 83,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im attemtping to. I took it to the dealership and they want $300 to unlock it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/6/2018
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the only way to unlock the radio on any GM vehicle is with a dealer GM Tech 2 scan tool and it has to be connected to the GM tech website while doing so. They changed this procedure around 2010

Is there anyway for me to "reset" the anti theft system that activated to lock it?
every time a battery dies GM expects me to pay that amount for my radio to work??

does the vehicle start?

Everything works now. The radio just shows "locked"

then theres nothing to do with anti theft reset.

Why did the radio lock?

I recommend getting a battery memory saver the next time you have to disconnect the battery for anything.

because it lost its memory

Theres absolutely no way to get it back without going to a dealership?
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 7 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

sense it is tied into the security system,there is no way to unlock your radio at home as you could with older models..

you will need to have the dealer do this,,it only takes a few minutes at the dealer.

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

I agree that is a ridiculously high price for something that takes less than 1/2 hour.

Try a different dealership.