Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 avalanche how to open hood cable won't. Thought it was…

Customer Question
2006 avalanche how to...

2006 avalanche how to open hood cable won't

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thought it was froze put inside heat for 2 hours cable has tension like it's frayed in housing

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think the little ring on bottom of latch will open it if I get a coat hanger on it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Hello, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this today.

So it sounds like you are correct, the cable end is a common failure on these models. I coat hanger will work, or some long pliers will work as well. You'll need to pry the coat hanger against the latch release spring and pull, that should be enough to get it popped off of there. If that doesn't work then the cable will most likely need to be snapped and replaced