Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 chevy 2500hd with 6.0L. I have code p0300 for engine…

Customer Question
2005 chevy 2500hd with 6.0L...
2005 chevy 2500hd with 6.0L. I have code p0300 for engine misfire detected. It seems that cylinders 1,2,3,and 4 are misfiring. 6 and 8 have a small history. 5 and 7 never skipping. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and intake manifold gaskets. truck has 167k miles on it. I t doesn't seem that theres is much of a pattern on the misfires. I did an injector balance and all 8 injectors were the same. starting at 55psi fuel pressure each injector dropped it to 45psi. I don't suspect faulty converters or a fuel pressure or vacuum issue because its not randomly misfiring. and also 5 and 7 have no history of missing. I have good spark and good fuel pressure. I sprayed everything with starting fluid and didn't find any vacuum leaks. also I don't hear any metallic noises as if it had a broken valve spring or something internal. 02 sensors seem to be operating within their values per alldata.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

do a compression test on all cylinders. also, dont be so sure the cats aren't bad. misfires will eat cats for lunch. do a back pressure test also

ok, I also forgot to say that if I hold it at 2500rpm with it in park it runs smooth. soon as I bring it back down it starts skipping

are you watching the fuel trims while doing that?

Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** will try to assist you with your truck. Please allow me a little time to review and i will be back with you soon

Sorry for the delay but i lost internet connection....are the misfire counts incrementing steadily or random

its worst at idle. when you give it throttle cel starts to flash. I have 135psi compression across the board.

ok it's not a compression issue and i didn't think it was....does it seem to be mostly 1 bank or random on both banks

both banks but mostly the front 2 cylinders on each bank. pass bank rear 2 cylinders (5 and 7) don't skip. they don't show any history of skipping. driver side bank rear 2 cylinders (6 and 8) skip once and awhile randomly but not as much as the 2 and 4 or 1 and 3.

Hang tight let me look at something...brb

Silverado or Sierra

Silverado 2500hd

any other codes other than the p0300

had a code for evap vent control p0449 and a maf sensor code p0101. I tried a new maf sensor but that didn't change anything.

2 things i would try.....a fuel injector balance test and unbolting the exhaust from the manifolds on both sides and run it and see if the misfires go away. I have seen this before where the cats get blocked and will cause a misfire on 2-4 cylinders.....not 2 and 4....but 2-4 cylinders on a bank. Reference the attached Document

I did the injector balance earlier all were the same. start at 55psi then when injector activates, it drops to 45psi. I will try and get the exhaust off and fire it up

Don't just take the o2 sensors out....that never works. It's not enough of an opening for all of the exhaust to escape

And don't waste time trying to do a back pressure check with a gauge....unbolting is the best and most accurate way

I cut the pipes bc the bolts are way too rusty. still skips.

You cut the pipes that quick?....Do you have spark on the misfiring cylinders?

Did you cut before the cats?

before the cats. just saw zawed them. and yes I do have spark on all 8

did you run it for a few mins.....revving it up to clear the cylinders out?

Can you actually feel the misfire or is it just incrementing on you scan tool

I ran it at idle then reved it to 2500 then let it come back down and still skipping. long enough to burn out the cylinders. only took a min to cut the pipes. and I can feel it. at idle the whole truck shakes.

does the balancer wobble at all

no

On your scan tool can you watch engine rpm and see if it's drastically jumping all over the place....like crazy numbers....1000........12000 at idle

no seems accurate. might need to pick back up on this monday

ok....whatever you want to do...i will continue to try to help you

I had another thought about your misfires....not sure if you have a vacuum gauge but if you don't try to get one and with the engine running hook the gauge to a vacuum port and let me know if it's steady vacuum at idle or bouncing all over the place

im back, I will try the vacuum gauge sometime today.

Ok

at idle I have about 10 inHG of vacuum. it bouces a little bit but im assuming its because its skipping. if I hold steady at 2k rpm it runs pretty smooths and vacuum at 15inHG.

You should have like 20in of vacuum. When you say it bounces a little like how much. It shouldn't bounce at all even if it's misfiring Unless you have broken or weak valve springs. That was the reason for me asking you to do a vacuum test

the gauge just flutters a little bit between like 10 to 12 or 13in. the customer said that its been acting like this for about a week. it was driving fine then I guess on e day he went to take the truck and it was acting like this.

I'm running out of ideas.....How about a fuel sample. Maybe ask the customer if he got fuel before this started

I don't know how to test it. I would think that something like fuel or vacuum would be causing a random multiple misfire. I did a crank variation relearn just to do it and nothing on that either
what should my fuel trims be at idle, I don't really know how to read those, maybe those will tell something. the 02s seemed to be working fine

Try to hook up a fuel pressure gauge that has a relief on it and put some in a clear bottle and let it sit and see if anything separates to the bottom or if it has a funky odor or color

Fuel trim should be close to or around zero...+ or - 5-10

ok I just noticed that the fuel cap says e85. if someone put e85 in this and it had been running 87 its whole life, could that cause a misfire? or is there a way I can test if it has e85 in it or 87

Possibly

There is a tester for that

On your scanner can you look at fuel alcohol content

just talked to customer and it has 87 in it. and it doesn't show alcohol content

I'm at a loss my friend....we've covered everything i thought it may be from here but without being at the vehicle myself i'm sorry but i don't know what else to suggest

Maybe ECM?

I wish i could have helped you get this figured out and i hope you would kindly rate this chat session 3-5 stars for my assistance in trying to help you

I would still get a fuel sample

Just checking in to see if you have made any progress or come up with anything

Is this setting a P0300 or not

I just replaced the intake plenum with a brand new updated version. the truck seemed to be running a tiny bit better. I watched the misfires on the scanner. now it seems to be cyl 2 and 6 mostly now. but mostly 2. I switched coils with 2 and 4 to see if it moved but it stayed at cyl 2. the passanger bank is definitely better then it was before.

Maybe throw a new plug in 2 and see what happens...might just be fouled

I switched the plug, coil, and injector with a good cylinder and nothing is changing. seems to be 2 and 6 now. mostly 2. could I have a broken valve spring or something and not hear and noises from it

Absolutely.....if a valve spring is broken you won't hear any noise. You'll have to remove the valve cover and physically look at it

You could also have a burnt valve....best way to check that is to remove the rocker arms from the misfiring cyl....remove the shrader valve from your compression tester,,,,,screw the hose in to the head, attach an air hose and put air into the cylinder and see if you have air escaping out of the intake manifold or the exhaust

just pulled the valve cover and everything looks good in there. surprisingly clean also

try the other thing i suggested about air testing the cylinder...there's only 4 things that can cause a cylinder to misfire.... spark, fuel, compression and a leak

Any progress

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician