Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do I determine if the engine temperature sensor is

Customer Question
How do I determine...

How do I determine if the engine temperature sensor is working properly in my 2005 Chevy Venture.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

The wires may be loose, but I am not sure. How would I test them with a volt meter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Venture yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have torn down the entire coolant tubing system and did back flushes on Radiator, coolant engine flow, and heater core. I have replaced radiator, Water pump, thermostat, and heat sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The problem is not due to loss of coolant, but to a build up in pressure, interrupting proper cooling. Removing radiator cap results in an eruption of hot back spray. Have tried oi bleed system. Seems to work fine intermittently, then develop sudden symptoms. Dashboard temperature gage frequently rises suddenly from normal range all the way up beyond highest overheating markings to the 6:00 position. Often when this occurs, a check of the engine finds it cool and with no pressure buildup or overheating symptoms. At other times, just the opposite is true and engine rattles (knocks) then quits.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

hi, the best way to do this would be to hook up a scanner that can monitor live data and monitor the temp reading that way, then compare that to what an external measurement reads

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

By external measurement, am I correct to assume you mean a thermometer reading from radiator or overflow container?

I was thinking more along the lines of using a temperature gun, you can't open the cooling system when its hot to put anything in. it needs to remain sealed. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

A suggestion was made that I might have a bad manifold gasket (though I think they meant head gasket). But I am not losing coolant. Rather, it is building up pressure and failing to cool or flow. If It were a gasket issue, would I not see streaks in the oil, or moisture coming out of the tailpipe; neither of which I am seeing?

hi, I would be happy to answer your new question at no additional charge, but can't do so until I receive proper credit to my complete answer to the original question. Please select a positive rating and ask any follow up questions thereafter. thank you

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert