Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Gotta put a new serpentine belt on. Something I haven't done…

Customer Question
Gotta put a new...

Gotta put a new serpentine belt on. Something I haven't done in 20 years. Looks like I need to be under the car to get to tensiopner

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Chevy. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No, thats all, thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

can I get the year, model and engine size please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1998 Chevy cavalier 2.2

Thanks for the info, please give me a moment to get the info for you.

As I recall these are a bit of a bear. You do gain some access to the tensioner from under the car, but it's difficult to move the tensioner because of the frame. On top of that, if you can get a helper to handle the top of the belt it makes life a little easier.

I created a link HERE for the procedure and hopefully that will help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician