Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The battery light is on, the alternator was replaced as well…

Customer Question
The battery light is...

The battery light is on, the alternator was replaced as well as battery.. it still stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Both were tested an hour ago , alternator is fine, replaced battery and it still is on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2006 chevy equinox

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced alternator a week ago and battery this morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Last night the lights would go out then came back on the battery light would flash on and off.. this morning it stayed on constantly

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok if the system is charging correctly there is usually a problem with the harness or connector, pull the harness that goes to the alternator and check everything do a wiggle test while someone watches the light to see if it goes out, if nothing happens you will need to trace the wire back, you will have to cut off tape and loom to do a full inspection

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Already have. .the alternator and battery were tested this morning by advance auto. .it showed the battery was at 0 cranking amps. .replaced with new battery and light still stays on

so you checked the small connector on the alternator and cut off all the tape and inspected it all the way back into the main harness?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
battery and alternator were both tested this morning.. battery was replaced and the battery an hour ago and still the same problem.. although the check engine light came on with Code P0700.. I have a code reader

well im out of ideas on this one, im pretty sure you need to get into the computer to see if your getting signal or not because the can bus talks with everything, but because im unsure ill open this back up

Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Ok, that P0700 just means that the transmission control module has set a code but in order to see that code you probably need a little more than what a code reader can do, you would need a scan tool.

Plus, once you get to someone who has a scan tool, the dealer is a good bet, then they can also retrieve codes from all of the modules and hopefully retrieve a trouble code that refers to that battery light.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a scan tool and it only says trans module. .nothing more

Before you said you have a code reader, now you say it's a scan tool?

What is the brand name and model, I will look it up to tell you what it is and if it can access the tcm, bcm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is my sons.. it is from MAC TOOLS. .let me ask you this. .the alternator was tested at the battery with vehicle running. .if the wire from alternator was broken somewhere would it read as the alternator was ok and show that the battery was not charging or low ?.. just a random thought

If the wire was broken the voltage at the battery would be battery voltage 12 volts instead of alternator output voltage which is 14 volts.

I am thinking you have a problem with the information sent to the instrument cluster whether it's through the pcm or not and from any sensor.

Actually the bcm and pcm, here is that wiring diagram.

try following this trouble shooting procedure for CHARGE INDICATOR ALWAYS ON

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am sending you the results of the system test..
Starter Test : voltage 11.12 V . .Amps :0.0 Charging System : No Load 11.380 , Loaded 11.270

Amps 0.0 was from what test?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Starter test

The 11 volts is also low.

Well, that cannot be right. The starter draws maybe around 100 amps.

Charging System : No Load 11.380 , Loaded 11.270. They are both low.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am reading it off of the print out from the scan

Repeat them charging system tests right at the back of the alternator on that B+ connection, If it's 14 volts there, then replace that wire/cable from the alternator b+ to the battery b+ post.

Let me take a look and see exactly how that runs.

Ok, it goes to the starter first then to battery and also there is a fusible link inline. You may want to check the voltage on both sides of that fusible link,

Then they did the starter draw test wrong.

The charging test if what we need anyhow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The print out states charging system test as no problems

Can you make a copy of them test results and post it in here?

Was advance auto using a scan tool to do these tests or was they actual testing under the hood on the battery cables?

That is the problem with auto-parts stores doing testing. It's like asking your pharmacists what prescriptions you should be taking. They only sell the drugs, it's just like auto-parts, you need to talk to a doctor or mechanic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can try to take a photo of it and send to you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They were under the hood testing from battery terminals

Ok, they did something wrong, If the starter was working then it has to be drawing some amps.

Them 11 volts, if they were charging volts, then I don't know how they say that passed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are as stumped as I am. . I did notice the plug in to the back of alternator had a previous wire splice to it. .would this possibly be the problem. .and if so would the test have shown it as no charge at all. .the splice actually looks good as it was done with wire connectors. .

My advice is to just ignore all of there tests.

Do you have a voltmeter?

That should have read their tests, not there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have one but my son does. .what test should I do and where should I test it from i.e battery or alternator and what colts should I be getting

Do you have a voltmeter?

The first test is at the back of the alternator at the B+, rev the engine to 1,500 rpm and it should read about 14 volts

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it reads less then it would be the alternator ????
Where else do you test it

I doubt if the alternator is bad since it's new.

Perhaps the alternator isn't getting the voltage it needs on the thin wires.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I remedy that.

First things first, let me know the voltage at the back of the alternator at the B+, rev the engine to 1,500 rpm

To begin make sure the IGN 1 fuse in the I/P fuse block has power to both sides of the fuse with the key on run. That fuse block is located behind center of dash, beneath the right side of the radio.

I am guessing that fuse has never been checked?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check it. .I have to wait for my son to bring me a volt meter

I see that IGN 1 also feeds the fog lamps and a/t shift lock control, so if either the fog lamps or the shifter shifts in and out of park, then my guess is that that fuse is ok anyhow.

Get a voltmeter yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not yet. .temps are below 0 here and I'm still waiting for my son to bring one to me

Ok, I'll check back tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. .thank you

You are welcome.

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found the problem
It was the alternator, only put out 11 volts. .took it back,they tested it and found a short in it. .thanks for your help

I thought that failed before when they said 11 volts passed.

I meant look like this.

Did you see how to rate me or are you not satisfied with my answers?

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic