Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The odometer and trip meter does not work, but the speed…

Customer Question
The odometer and trip...

The odometer and trip meter does not work, but the speed ometer works. How may I remove and repair the unit?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1994 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton ext. cab.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything for myself as of yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What may it cost me if I am able to repair it myself?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since the speedometer works but the odometer and trip odometer is not working this indicates this is an internal fault with the instrument gauge cluster itself.The speedometer controls the odometer and trip odometer itself.

The fault is either with the circuit board in the instrument cluster shorted out or a faulty electronic on the circuit board causing this issue here.In order to correct this, the instrument gauge cluster would need to be removed and replaced or removed and repaired.In most cases, it is cheaper to locate a used cluster and install it at a salvage yard using on with mileage close to what you have.You can get a used one shipped to you from http://www.car-part.com.I have not repaired these myself as we usually sent them to a facility that could repair them.The circuit board usually had to be replaced in it or repaired using special electronic test equipment to see which component on it failed needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete