Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Truck will sometimes turn over but justness clicks, no

Customer Question
Truck will sometimes turn...

Truck will sometimes turn over but justness clicks, no start. Other times, once the key is inserted the theft system goes off and if the key isn’t held a certain way, it’ll go back to my regular start up dash. Replaced starter and battery. Checked ground and positive wiring. What else could it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Sounds as if it’s the solenoid/starter. And it’s just started.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2009 Silverado 1500 4wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sometimes the service air bag will come up on the dash too

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did all of these issues start to occur at the same time on your model here?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Kind of but no. It had never done the theft system before. My dash lights will come on and flicker as if it’s my alarm going off. The truck locks and unlocks then will either ding or completely stop if I hold the key a certain way.

When you say the dash lights flicker is this all of the lights on the instrument cluster near the gauges that flicker rapidly or off and on?

O.k., look at the battery cables at the battery.There were issues with the crimp of the cable itself to the battery post connection that caused this type of fault here.In allot of cases, you can reproduce the fault or make it stop by wiggling this connection for the positive or negative cable.If it does reproduce or stop when this is done at the connection itself then the affected battery cable needs replaced.This was a big issue I have seen on quite a few of these before causing this issue.

If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. with the flicker of the lights and the other issues here, this can be due to a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen the electronic ignition switch fail/act up in the past before and causes this type of fault here with it needing to be replaced.

You would need to have the data signals checked from the switch with a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model as well as some electrical testing is done to see if the switch does need to be replaced.

The starter won't cause the lights to flicker or the key issues but the battery cable issue as well as the electronic ignition switch will cause this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete