Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The LOW Level Diesel Exhaust Fluid notice will not go away,

Customer Question
The LOW Level Diesel...

The LOW Level Diesel Exhaust Fluid notice will not go away, I added fluid 2 days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

2017, and 2 months ago (for some reason when the dealer changed my oil, the neglected to add fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 GMC?

2500 Z71

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything. I added DEF fluid 2 days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's all.... it's telling me it's going to reduce my speed if I don't add DEF fluid

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
1/5/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

How much fluid did you add and did you fill the def tank?

Let me know so we can continue, thanks, Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gallon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1 gallon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?

O.k., you have to fill the def tank then drive it so the computer sees the tank has been completely filled to reset the fault.

Now if you do this and drive it and the issue remains then there is a fault with the def system and what has to be done is to have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set than those codes diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.I have seen the level/quality sensor in the tank fail before with the tank needs replaced.A dealer can diagnose and repair it at no charge to you under factory warranty.It is best to allow them to do this instead of tamper with it yourself this way it does not void the warranty.But you can top off the fluid fully to see if it resets first.If it comes to needing a tow the dealer will cover it as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician