Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My engine sometimes, not all the time, does a

Customer Question
crackling/knocking sound when accelerating. When...
My engine sometimes, not all the time, does a crackling/knocking sound when accelerating. When it does do it, I notice it is when it goes to 3rd gear, or when going up-hill. It started doing that a week ago. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/4/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So you can defiantly hear it from the engine bay? can you feel it anywhere?

I guess I'm not 100% sure if it's from the engine but that would be my guess based on the sound. When driving it at highway speeds it seems to not do it, and for the most part it never really does it. It is very intermittent. The Tahoe is a 2004, has 117,000 miles, had spark plugs and cables changed at 100,000 miles, has oil changed regularly. The MAF sensor was recently replaced due to code P0101

I would check the drive shaft and front driveshafts if its 4wd, it also could be a heat shield moving under more heat because your applying more load to the vehicle so its getting more hot

It will only make the noise if I press on the accelerator. If it's making the noise and I take my foot off the gas, it stops making the noise. The noise will get faster the more gas I give it.

ok then check all the drive shafts and wheel bearings

Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 6 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

My name is ***** ***** i see you have requested a new expert....Did you still need assistance?