Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1995 Suburban K2500 with 7.4L engine here. There is a loose…

Customer Question
1995 Suburban K2500 with...

1995 Suburban K2500 with 7.4L engine here. There is a loose wire, dark green with a white stripe, running next to auxillary fan switch wire (light green). Right now it's not connected to anythimg, just hanging loose near the aux fan switch on the passenger side. Where is it supposed to be connected?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I'm not talking about any light. I'm asking about a loose wire in the engine bay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. Haven't tried anything because I don't know where to connect the wire to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If he can show me a picture of the area in the engine bay that would be great.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/4/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

You never said which auxiliary fan switch you were referring to because there are 2, an auxiliary cooling fan temperature switch which is located right cylinder head above staretr and an auxiliary cooling fan a/c pressure switch switch which has the dark green/white wire and is located rear of the compressor.

I was referring to the one on the passenger side.

The one located right cylinder head above starter?

Well, that is the auxiliary cooling fan temperature switch and that does have a light green wire. That dark green/white wire probably hooks to the diode.

I know there might be a diode there, but where does it go from the diode? Is there a drawing that shows that part of the engine bay?

You already have the drawing. It is the one I was looking at.

Follow that light green wire from the auxiliary cooling fan temperature switch or the relay to that diode.

This is the first time you said that wire was actually broken. Anyhow, follow that light green wire until you find the diode, There is also another diode, follow the dark green wire from the heater and a/c control module to find it. I looked but could not find any location info on either diode.

The locations of the two diode is really what I need. Will head to the junk yard to see if I can find something similar. I looked all over the internet for a picture or drawing of that part of the engine bay but couldn't find one.
I guess the 7.4L is rare and not all trims from those years have an aux fan. This picture is somewhat helpful... I'm guessing it's from a factory service manual? Hayes has no drawings like this..

That as from alldata.

Did you find it yet?

No everything in the junk yard is the 5.7 vortec, either no aux fan switch or somewhere else

Why are you looking in salvage yards and for what?

I meant did you find where them diodes are located?

that and where the wire goes after that. I really don't want to cut open the harness open right now.

The 5.7 has them same diodes.

Do you know where the harness and connector for the fan control/AC amd heater control is? The whole dark green wire runs between the cooling fan AC pressure switch and the fan control harness. Since the cooling fan AC switch side has no broken wires, I figure the fan control harness must be where the broken wire is supposed to go.

No I don'.t