Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I tried jumping out 87 prong to 30 and every time I jump it…

Customer Question
I tried jumping out 87...
I tried jumping out 87 prong to 30 and every time I jump it out it blows to 20 amp fuse for the PCM to and I have power to the 85 does this mean you still a short between the fuse box and the relay , on my truck it's an 03 with a 4.8 The relay is in the fuse box any other suggestions
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/3/2018
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

What relay are you jumping?

Fuel pump relay

If you jump pins 87 and 30 and blow the fuse, then you have a short between the relay and the fuel pump, or the pump is bad.

Pin 87 will run straight to the fuel pump.

Unplug the fuel pump and jump pins 87 and 30 again and see if the fuse blows. If it does not, replace the fuel pump. If it does blow the fuse again, then you have a short in the wire and will have to find where it is shorted to a ground. Follow the wires from the pump back up along the frame and see if the wire harness has been damaged or has a hole rubbed in it.

If there is a short between the relay and the pump with that also cause the gauges in the cluster not to work also

If you are blowing the pcm fuse, yes.

Also before I jumper out those two pins the fuse for the prom is good the gauges still do not work and the odometer digital part also does not work with that be the cluster or still be the harness problem I also unplugged the fuel pump and it still blows the fuse

There are 4 other fuses that you need to check, the ipc/dic, seo B1, ing E and seo ing fuses in the fuse box under the hood. See if any of these fuses are blown as well. As for your fuel pump relay, run the gray wire from the fuel pump back to the relay it must have a short in it. and no the short in the gray wire will not stop the cluster from working, if you have a good fuse in the fuse box and the relay pulled.

The other fuses are good on the pump there are two connectors a four wire and a two wire on the two wire there is a gray one that has power and the four wire has none with power ??

The 4 wire plug is the one you are looking for. The two wire is for the pressure sensor.

Ok will try tomorrow heading into work now thanks will let know

You are very welcome.

The other fuses are ok and I pulled the Gray wire out of the loom and it all looks good and did a continuity test of the wire and all is good any other suggestions ?

Will the fuse still blow if you jump pins 87 and 30?

Yes

Do you have duel tanks in your truck?

No

If you have run the whole gray wire from the tank to the fuse box, then the short has to be in the fuse box itself.

I changed that out already with another one

Did you do an ohms test on the gray wire with the relay removed, to a ground?

No what should it read

OL testing both ends of the wire to a ground. If you test both ends of the gray wire to each other, you should get a reading of 0.00

Ok I will

Let me know what the test results are.