Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Massive cold front came through. I started the 94 Astro van…

Customer Question
Massive cold front came...

Massive cold front came through. I started the 94 Astro van and got to my destination. Hours later, and much colder it would not turn over. Replaced the battery and the starter. Still won't turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

One click

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced with a new battery and a new starter (not a re-built one).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Not at the moment.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/3/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Chevrolet certified technician and I would be happy to help you with this.

Have you been able to verify that the starter is getting power? And have you tried turning the motor over by hand?

No. I put on a new starter (not a re-built one). How do you turn the motor over by hand?
Could it be the ignition switch?

You can spin the motor on the crankshaft bolt if you have a ratchet/breaker bar, that way we know the engine is not locked up

Where is the crankshaft bolt?

It is on the crankshaft pulley in front of the engine, it will be the biggest pulley right in the middle, turn it counter clockwise and it should turn with a little effort

Is this $26 an additional to what I have paid to ask these questions online? Just trying to see how this service works.

You should only be getting one charge, unless you choose extra. If the site sends extra offers like a phone call just decline, as that is extra. You pay the initial $5 deposit and then whatever you agreed upon

Ok. Thank you for the information on the phone charges. Can't do any thing now. It's dark and cold outside. No garage.

Not a problem. Just let me know when you are able to get back on it and I will be here to assist further. Along with checking the motor I would also recommend checking out the ignition fuses and make sure everything is getting power. Talk to you later!