Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We made it down to -29deg F last night and my 03 Trailblazer…

Customer Question
We made it down...

We made it down to -29deg F last night and my 03 Trailblazer started no prob. Drove to work 35 miles away. Went to grab some lunch and got the rough start with the Engine Power Reduction light. She'll idle rough and then kick-off. It's +10 deg F now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Still at work wondering if its temperature related and could self-correct as temps go up or if I should tow it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Usually runs like a top and this is the first time its happened...

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/2/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Adam Legler,
 replied 3 months ago
Adam Legler

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with the concern about your trailblazer today. I will have to ask some more questions, but before I do I'll address your question from above. While temperature does play a part, it typically is just "the straw that broke the camels back". Such as, temperature extremes can help identify weak links, etc...

Chevy Mechanic: Adam Legler,
 replied 3 months ago

Just after you started the vehicle, and saw it wasn't idling right and noticed the Reduced Power mode come-on, what did you do then? Did you shut off the truck and restart it? If so, did the Reduced power indicator/message come back?

Went back out and started it. No problem except that now the SES light is on. Got to where I needed to go with no probs.
Chevy Mechanic: Adam Legler,
 replied 3 months ago

Well thank goodness for that! Do you have the ability to get the code for the Check Engine Light via an OBDII code reader yourself or from a place like Advance Auto Parts or O'Riellys? I have a suspicsion, but until we know what the code was on for, its simply guess-work.

Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 3 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

the thing that usally causes this problem is a dirty throttle body..

remove the air cleaner and clean the inside of the throttle body with throttle body cleaner or carb cleaner..

after you clean it,,clear the trouble codes with a scanner.

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic