Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My check engine light on, reduce the engine power and is…

Customer Question
my check engine light on...
my check engine light on, reduce the engine power and is shacking on my 2010 Malibu ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

ok what is the question
what question do you have?

In the process of helping you I may ask silly questions but remember I do not know your skill level or see your vehicle so I need to get a full picture for myself to better assist you. Do you have a code reader or can have someone do that for you? Usually Auto-zone will do this for free. This is what we need first to proceed or we would be just guessing and checking many areas.

I don't have a code reader. I don't know if the car is safe to drive. the engine shacking alot

The light is on because the ECU has detected a fault code and with this code we can narrow the area down to diagnose and find the issue.

don't know if it is safe to drive?

This could be anything from spark plugs to coil packs injectors etc'

Do you know any friends or relatives that would have a code reader? they are inexpensive.

well it seems that your not going to be able to help me since you can't answer my question if it's safe to drive to get the code

When was the last time it was tuned up?

Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you are driving a short distance to maybe a shop or dealer to get the codes read out ( less then 15 miles ) then you should be o.k. to drive it.A shop or dealer will charge a fee to read out the codes as well as diagnose and repair the fault.A local parts store will usually read out fault codes at no charge to you.They will not be able to diagnose the fault but can give you an idea of what is at fault needing repaired or replaced.

Your computer puts the vehicle in a fail-safe/reduced performance mode when a fault is detected all depending on what is at fault.This is why you see the check engine light and reduced power messages.Since it is shaking you may have a faulty coil or injector or spark plug or even a stuck open EGR valve.In some cases, it is the throttle body at fault needing replaced.But since there are several components that can cause this issue here the fault codes do need to be read out to help diagnose and pinpoint this issue.You can drive it a short distance to get this checked.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician