Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Chevy trailblazer that was a recoverd there…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Chevy trailblazer that was a recoverd there vehicle. I replaced the column and went through the security relearn process. The vehicle still wouldn't start. I realized the starter relay was missing from the fuse box. Once the relay was replaced the vehicle will start when the ignition us turned to the run position, but the start doesn't disengage the flywheel unless I pull the relay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The key is in good shape the steering wheel turns car goes into gear I can start it by putting it in run and quickly inserting and removing relay and drive the vehicle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah I'm attempting to fix it myself. I tried replacing the relay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/2/2018
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 6 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

I will be looking forward to your reply.

No I haven't checked for codes but no check engine light at this time. I would be happy to go through some troubleshooting to narrow down the problem.

Sounds good. I will be happy to help.

Based on my experience, I suspect this issue is related to the ignition switch or wiring in the starting circuit (before the starter relay). However, you will need to confirm this by checking the inputs to the starter relay with the key in the crank position. You can even do this with the relay removed. You can check the female pins of the starter relay. Two should be power and one should get pulled to ground with the ignition in the crank position. The ground comes from the computer and the power supply come from two different sources. I can send a wiring diagram if needed. I just need to know the engine size.

4.2 inline

I am glad I can help! Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

U won't be able to complete next step until after work. I will update you on the test at the relay tonight.

Sounds good