Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 volt. It was sitting plugged in for a week…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 volt. It was sitting plugged in for a week while I was on vacation and I went to turn it on and it’s dead as a door nail. Can’t even open the charging door. What do I do now?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

It’s in my garage. Nothing works so I don’t even no where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I don’t know where to look for that connection

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Will the mechanic call instead of typing?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
When can expect the heard from you?
1/2/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

The small 12 volt battery is under the boot floor trim.

Can you check the battery volts with a multimeter please?

Gary

Gary- I don’t know where the boot floor trim is and I don’t own a multimeter. Do I need to have the car jumped like you would a regular engine battery?

Yes, that might help.

Do you have a jump battery, and do you know how to do it on your car?

Be very careful under the bonnet, there are DANGEROUS voltages under there.

Here is a pic:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=chevy+volt+jump+start&dcr=0&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigw-6BjbrYAhXFFJQKHVEfA3IQ_AUICSgB&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=obgd-ECxZuSbFM:

Gary

Hello again,,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Gary