Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Replaced oil pressure switch and fuel pump relay on my 1994…

Customer Question
Replaced oil pressure switch...

Replaced oil pressure switch and fuel pump relay on my 1994 silverado now fuel pump stays on after i turn truck off. what could be causing this to happen. thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

290,000 miles. runs perfectly fine but check engine light will come on and cause it to run slow in one gear then stall out . put the old one back in and it runs for a while then does it again. but fuel pump stays off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i.m fixing myself. only replaced the two parts i mention. also the transmission does sometimes hang up at 2-3 shift

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
1/2/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 month ago
Reggie Whiddon

Hi im Reggie thanks for using JustAnswer. Put my years of experience and training to work for you

You need to check the oil pressure switch you installed Ive seen the incorrect switch cause that. Also the relay you installed could be faulty and sticking on. If it wasnt doing it before you replaced those two parts odds are one of those parts is bad. I would go with the relay first.. Now what was the issue that caused you to install those two parts? You mention that sometimes the trans hang up at the 2 3 shift do you mean it starts off in that gear or does it start in 1 and 2 and then get hung and not shift to 3?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well the reason i replaced those parts in the first place was because oil gauge on the instrument panel would peg all the way pass 80 and would flicker erratically. It ran like that for well over a year with no problems but recently started to act weird and began stalling out. So that's why i chose to replace the oil pressure switch. But with the new switch installed the truck will run but when i turn the key off, the fuel pump continues to run until i disconnect the battery. As for the transmission issue, it starts off in 1st then 2nd but hangs up when going into 3rd gear. And it only seems to do that at around 2000 rpm reading on the instrmt panel but if i let off the gas pedal it then goes into normal shifting. Driving home from work the other day check engine light came on and seemed to act like it was in a safe mode or something. Loss of power and stuck in one gear. Pulled over and disconnected the battery for a few minutes then reconnected and made it home. Just looking for some possible answers and help.thanks again.
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 month ago

Okay one thing you want to look out for is the ignition switch ck to make sure you dont have any burned contacts on switch or connector and verify correct voltage at fuse box ck each row of fuses you want to see battery voltage when there is a problem one or more rows of fuses would record a much lower voltage reading this lower voltage wreaks havoc on the operation of components such as your transmission it sounds like you either installed the incorrect switch or a faulty one. Double check the correct part number be sure and tell them you have a gauge and not a light.

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 month ago

Replace that switch and the fuel pump relay ck those voltages with vehicle running and wiggle the harness at steering column and fuse block while checking voltage and let me know what you find

Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 month ago

Hello are you still working on this can i help you any further

Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon