Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2014 chevy Silverado and can not get the key to…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 chevy Silverado and can not get the key to move the steering wheel is locked but the wheel are straight.Have tried moving s/w back and forth while trying the key.What does it take to remove the whole mechanism?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes doing it myself was trying to remove the covers around s/w but cannot see what type of screw holds it on

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/1/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi my name is*****'m an A.S.E Certified Master Technician with 30 + yrs GM experience. I'm reviewing your question and would be happy to assist you. Please allow me a little time to review and i will be with you soon

it doesn't move at all in any direction?

It moves just a little

Do you have a second key to try?

have tried it

Ok...that ignition lock cylinder will need to be replaced and is NOT an easy task when it doesn't turn..

I would like to know how to remove the covers around the s/w

Have you tried shaking the key around while trying to turn it

Could you send me your V.I.N so i can send you the correct procedure on how to remove the covers as there are 2 different designs

I have tried wiggling the steering wheel while wiggling the key back and forth and in and out at the same time and also tried pulling the steering wheel hard one way and then the other while trying the key

Here is the procedure for the steering column shroud removal

1GCVKPECXEZ177606

There are no screws holding these covers to the steering column. They snap together.....getting them back on is more of a pain than getting them off

Please note that customer satisfaction is my #1 goal. I would ask that you kindly leave a 3-5 star rating for my assistance and the information i have provided...Thanks for rating and Thank you for using Just Answer

Just following up to make sure you have gotten the procedure i sent you

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician