Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Bought a 1996 S-10 Blazer without an ignition key. No key at…

Customer Question
Bought a 1996 S-10...

Bought a 1996 S-10 Blazer without an ignition key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No key at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '96 Chevy?

S-10 Blazer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will fix it myself. The previous owner tried unsuccessfully to remove the lock cylinder doing some damage

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/1/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 3 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

what you need to do here is to drill a hole into the lock cylinder where the key gos..drill the hole near where the lock cylender locking pin is,,this will release the pin and the old key lock cylinder will pull right out..then just snap in the new lock cylinder

The previous owner tried unsuccessfully to remove the key cylinder, doing damage. I bought the S-10 with a replacement key and cylinder. How can I remove the old cylinder?

with a drill

it only takes a few minutes

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oscmvb70e88bbj9/0101-s10-Important.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/oscmvb70e88bbj9/0101-s10-Important.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Thanks, I'll try that when the temp goes back up from the 1 degree that it is now. LOL

look at your new lock cylinder,,you see the brass color locking pin that holds in in place...drill right through your old on where the locking pin is..it will pop right out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSykIl5jaE

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

The documents you sent pertain to an instrument panel mounted switch. Mine is in the steering column

yes,,i understand it is in the column

use a 3/8 drill bit and drill right into where the key gos..make sure to drill deep enough to get to the locking pin area

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic