Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2003 Malibu and the ignition switch was replaced…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Malibu and the ignition switch was replaced last year. About a week ago I parked the car got out and the anti theft alarm went off. I stopped with fob. The Ext day it was cold went to start car. It wouldn’t start. Charged the battery. Still would not start. Called CAA to replace battery, it was not battery. Car is dead. It has been sitting there for almost 2 weeks, and it is extremely cold outside.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

No I have t

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

I charged the battery overnight about five days ago, turned the key and left it for ten minutes. It started. Drive the car for about half hour. No lights issues. Woke up the next day and car was the same. Won’t start. I did not want to do anything else. Called a few mechanics to have car towed but it is the Holidays.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Shall I change the fob battery. First, then charge battery,

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
1/1/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

does the battery keep going dead?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! Yes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can type fast
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What’s the problem is it the ignition switch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I refuse the call you cannot assist.

ok, if the battery keeps going dead you might have a parasitic drain issue. You would need a volt meter to test for excessive current draw. This is done by removing the negative battery cable and connecting your meter in series with the battery.

Anything more than 50 or 60 milleamps is too high.

Does anything respond with the ignition switch? do the dash light come on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had CAA check the battery a fe2 days ago. They said the battery was fine. The engine shows faintly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was going to replace the battery. The driver said it could be the ignition switch. Although a common problems with these cars. Not a lot of mechanics know how to fix
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Engine light shows faintly when trying to start car. Could the frigid temperatures affect having car start?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also could not call would have to remove the snow off car as it snowed last night.

It could be the ignition switch, however you said it was recently replaced.

How are the battery cable ends and grounds? You may have a poor connection somewhere. Make sure all the fuses are ok.

Make sure the battery cables are clean, check the ground from negative post of battery.

Yes the cold temps affect the battery. Electrons move slower and slower the colder it gets outside.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing responded to ignition switch. No fuel or lights

Try jump starting it. If nothing happens with the switch, then you have either a bad switch or blown main fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What fusses would I be checking for.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, will do. In that case. Should I leave the battery charger on for some time. The start car?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuses, which ones to check?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the main fuse?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the conclusion.

I see now that you said the engine light is flickering. So that rules out a main fuse. Everything would not work if that were the issue.

Yes charge the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it flickered. Going outto put on battery pack. Is that wise?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It may take some time to charge battery. After that what do you suggest.
Start the car and see if it turns over?
Change fob battery?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also had CAA guy check battery wires he said they were in place

Fob battery will not cause this problem. After charging the battery you need to perform a battery draw test. It sounds like something is draining the battery down very fast.

Use a volt meter to check your charging system voltage to make sure the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
CaaCharged the battery and then car still woud not startt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I contact you in an hour or so. What could be drawing battery power. The battery is a little than a year old
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don’t have a volt meter unfortunately. Could be the alternator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no significant change with car and there is no light, at all now. Car has no power did attach 12 volt battery charger
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dan. I will have the car towed and have it checked.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating by clicking on the stars in the upper right hand corner of the screen. This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating. If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund. So please ask what you need more help with and lets get your question answered!

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated. This question will automatically time out after 7 days.Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more. A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.Hoping this information was helpful.Thanks.
Dan, ASE Certified Technician