Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Can my starter motor freeze up in extreme cold weather? it…

Customer Question
Can my starter motor...

Can my starter motor freeze up in extreme cold weather? it is minus 23 outside now.

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Series of clicks even when I turn the key off. I just put a new 700 battery in but am afraid to try & start it. May run it down

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 chevy equonix

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just put a new battery in so far but haven't tried to start it yet. I am concerned about the starter

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/1/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually, the only way it will freeze up is if you got wet moisture in it.It sounds like a bad battery was the issue or loose or corroded battery cables.I would try and start it now with the new battery in it and see if it starts.If it still clicks then I would suspect the starter has failed due to the cold temps.You would need to have the signals tested at it.The large wire on the starter should have power at all times key on or off.The smaller wire should have power on it at the starter with the key in the crank position.If both of these signals are present then the starter needs to be replaced.You need at or near 12 volts DC at these wires.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete