Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just bought a 08 trailblazer 63000 miles .Won't hardly run…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 08 trailblazer 63000 miles .Won't hardly run when cold throws up PO306 Po171 and aPO300.Once the car warms really good is fine. If I leave it in a heated garage it runs ok first thing. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Level is good in overflow tank in the garage,haven't checked it outside

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thought it may have been a little water in the gas,freezing around the sock while outside so some dry gas ran the first tank of fuel through it filled it up yesterday, but same issue this morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/1/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 6 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

The P0171 is oxygen sensor fault and the P0300 is random multiple misfire ( plgs,coils, fuel pressure , vacuum leaks, maf sensor )

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I do most of my repairs myself, but with a new job I have very limited time to work on it. I'm looking to try some possible fixes today and if I don't come up with something out may have to go to the dealer

ok no problem

This here i would clean the TB body the from carbon build up if any , i would get some starting fluid and spray around the intake manifold and all vacuum lines and TB body gasket while engine running , do it when engine is still cold in the morning ,so we want start a fire spraying fluid on hot engine :), if you sprayed and the engine rpm surges up , we have a vacuum leak .

there is a hose from air box to engine make sure all that connected and no cracks in the lines ,if you suspect area , spray more around the engine rpm should surge up

you also need to pull plugs out and replace them , now this some you can do yourself , then clear the fault codes and test again .

in the morning when engine cold , the computer take info from map, engine coolant temp sensor etc until the oxygen sensor heats up then it switches , if the sensor is bad or the heat element taking long time to heat up, which explains maybe inside garage is better when you leave it there ,so if p0300 and 306 goes away and p0171 comes back ,start looking towards oxygen sensor and wiring to it , then check fuel pressure , also get some maf sesnor cleaner and clean that when you tune up and checking for leaks

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat