Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 with a check engine…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a 2011...
Hello! I have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 with a check engine light code P163C. I believe it is the glow plug circuit. could you please guide me through some diagnostics to determine if it is a glow plug or controller. Thanks! Lance Laranjo Retired GM Tech
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/31/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 3 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, below is the flow chart for you.

I would start by verifying battery voltage to the controller itself. look for good clean connections

Roy

Circuit/System Description

The glow plug control module has the ability to perform internal diagnostics for voltage and output state of the glow plugs. The glow plug control module monitors the battery voltage of the module's main voltage supply circuit, the Ignition 1 Signal circuit and the engine control module (ECM) Control Module Voltage circuit. If the glow plug control module detects a difference between the glow plug control module main battery supply circuit and the Ignition 1 Signal circuit greater than 5 V the DTC will set or if the module detects a difference of 3 V between the glow plug control module main battery supply circuit and the ECM Control Module Voltage circuit. The glow plug control module will send a message to the ECM to set this DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

* The ignition is ON.
* DTC P163C runs continuously.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The glow plug control module detects a variation between the battery positive voltage circuit to the glow plug control module, Ignition 1 signal circuit, and/or the ECM voltage circuit for 130 ms. The following conditions will set the DTC:

* Glow plug control module battery positive voltage circuit is greater than 16.5 V, and ignition 1 signal circuit is between 9-14 V.
* Glow plug control module battery positive voltage circuit is less than 6 V, and ignition 1 signal circuit is between 9-16 V.
* The difference between the glow plug control module battery positive voltage circuit, and ignition 1 signal circuit is greater than 5 V during glow plug operation.
* The difference between the glow plug control module battery positive voltage circuit and the ECM voltage circuit is greater than 3 V during glow plug operation.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P163C is a Type B DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P163C is a Type B DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

Intermittent or poor connection of the B+ cable at the glow plug control module terminal X1 may cause this DTC to set.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics (See: Powertrain Management > Electrical > Engine Controls Schematics)
Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views (See: Vehicle > Connector Views > Connector End Views By Name)
Description and Operation

Glow Plug System Description (See: Glow Plug System > Components > Glow Plug System Description)
Electrical Information Reference

* Circuit Testing (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Circuit Testing)
* Connector Repairs (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Connector Repairs)
* Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections)
* Wiring Repairs (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Wiring Repairs)

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions (See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions)
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References (See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning > Control Module References) for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

1. Engine running, accessories OFF, measure and record the battery voltage at the battery terminals. The voltage should be between 12.6-15 V.

♦ If not within the specified range, refer to Charging System Test (See: Starting and Charging > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Charging System Test).

2. Verify the scan tool ECM Voltage parameter reading is between 12.6-15 V.
3. Verify the scan tool glow plug control module Ignition 1 Signal parameter reading is between 12.6-15 V.
4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the X1 harness connector at the K34 glow plug control module.
2. Measure and record the voltage between the battery positive voltage circuit terminal 1 of the X1 harness connector and ground. The voltage should be B+.

♦ If voltage is not B+, repair the open or high resistance in the battery positive voltage circuit.

3. Disconnect the X2 harness connector at the K34 glow plug control module.
4. Ignition ON, measure and record the voltage between the Run/Crank Ignition 1 Voltage circuit terminal 33 of the X1 harness connector and ground. The voltage should be B+.

♦ If voltage is not B+, repair the open or high resistance in the Run/Crank ignition 1 voltage circuit.

5. Measure and record the voltage between the B+ and the signal ground circuit terminal 10. The voltage should be B+.

♦ If voltage is not B+, repair the open or high resistance in the signal ground circuit.
♦ If all circuits test normal, replace the K34 glow plug control module.

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification (See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Diagnostic Repair Verification) after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Control Module References (See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning > Control Module References) for glow plug control module replacement, programming, and setup.

do you have any other questions???

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest