Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 z71 4x4 4dr truck....i…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 z71 4x4 4dr truck....i got it 3months ago.....few days after I got it the transmission started leaking ...

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

All the guy who I got it from said was he has had it 5yrs an never had any problems with it.....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalanche 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Wait a minute....

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was driving it till the transmission just stop working driving down the road....i step on the gas pedal an it sounded like gears bouncing around in something

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Is your truck an automatic trans or manual?

Automatic

Have you been under the truck to see for sure where the leak is coming from? Will the truck move if it is in 4wd?

Well.....i can't tell...its leaking to the cross member....an it is in 2wd...when I got under the truck I found out that the driveshaft to the front tires is gone

Was it ever there? Look at the transfer case and see if you can see any cracks in the case.

It will not move..when I give it gas it sounded like gears bouncing around in something

With the engine running and you put the trans in drive, if you put it back into park do you hear a clanking nose that is repetitive?

I called the dude I got it from.....he said he didn't know...he never put it in 4wd
No.....it only makes sounds in gear

Did you go out to the truck and check it for cracks in the transfer case?

Don't c any cracks on it.....an a friend of mine that works on cars said that the only way it could be the transfer case was if it was in 4wd

That is not true. Go out to the truck and start the engine, pull the transmission dip stick out and wipe it clean, then restick the transmission and see if the fluid level is low please.