Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 chevy Silverado 5.3 bought with blow motor, replaced…

Customer Question
2003 chevy Silverado 5.3 bought...
2003 chevy Silverado 5.3 bought with blow motor, replaced motor and will not crank over. No power at the crank fuse in the fuse box. Any ideas to move forward?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

What fuse is this? is there a number by it?

No number on the digram it is the one above w/s washer relay 10a

Im not able to pull a diagram for that ill have to open this back up for the others to assist

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** fuse gets power from ignition switch which gets power from the 40 amp IGNA fuse. So check IGNA fuse if good your ignition switch has probably failed but you will want to check wiring before replacing. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing. Let me know if you have questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks gain and please do not forget to rate answer.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nk28joksu63aq1/crank.pdf?dl=0

Fuse was good replaced ignition switch with same results. The security light is on. As well and when you turn the key off all the dash lights and gauges stay on for about 5 sec before shutting off

If still now power at crank fuse then check to see if yellow wire leaving ignition switch has power with key in start position and red wire should have voltage at all times. If yellow wire has voltage at ignition switch but not fuse then run new wire between ignition switch and fuse box.

Where does the yellow wire come into the underside of the fuse box

From pin A3 of connector 1.

Is connector 1 the white one?

Manual is saying grey.

Should be only connector with yellow wire in position A3.

Okay we now have power at the fuse where does it go from there?

Does engine turn over now?

No

Did you have to run a new wire or did replacing ignition switch solve the no power issue?

The prongs in the fuse box were f**ked up. After messing with them got the power to go to both sides. But the security light is still on.

Security system shouldn't cause vehicle not to crank, at starter relay 2 pins should have power with key on and 1 pin should have ground with key in start position. Let me know, thanks.

Here are also instructions to try security relearn which needs to be done after replacing ignition switch.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jze7r0v6xgkfgzr/relearn2.PNG?dl=0

Every leg has power except 82 which has ground

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. Jump pin 87 to pin 30 and that should cause engine to turn over. If so, try the security relearn.

Okay so after jumping the pins it did turn over. Now trying to reset security going threw the steps but the security light has not turned off. And it's been about 15-20 mins already

If light isn't turning off try procedure anyway regardless of light.

Dan, Technician