Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Windshield wipers aren't working. It has been cold and

Customer Question
Windshield wipers aren't working...

Windshield wipers aren't working. It has been cold and snowy. I have cleared some ice that had built up at the base of the wiper arms. When I turn them on, they won't move.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?

I don't know where the fuse would be. I can't hear a motor other than the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2012 Traverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Traverse yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just clearing the ice. I'm not a mechanic, so no, I haven't touched anything inside the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was fine this morning. Temp is -12. It's been colder with no issue.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Christopher Jirak,
 replied 7 months ago
Christopher Jirak

Hello My name is ***** ***** is currently an active recall From Chevy for 2011 and 2012 traverse wipers are inoperative in cold climate states. I would have your vin Ready and call your local GM/Chevy dealer. they can run your vin and verify the recall fits your model/build date. if this helped feel free to rate me. Thank you,

Chevy site says there are no open recalls for this vehicle.I found this interesting note in the online owners manual: Heavy snow or ice can overload the
wipers. A circuit breaker stops them until the motor cools. I guess I'll try to start it up again in a while.
Chevy Mechanic: Christopher Jirak,
 replied 7 months ago

I am actually a ford Tech, but I know I have heard of this recall in the past. I would call a dealer in the morning just to verify this. sometimes recalls can be issued only when a customer complains/states of the issue occurring. Yes the fuse relays and thermal circuit breakers are excellent places to start. if any of this has helped please feel free to rate me. also if you do call and find out for sure on the recall/safety notice let me know. Thank you.

I found the recall notice on safecar.gov site, and registered a complaint. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me tonight. Fortunately, I'm stranded at the office, not on the road.
Chevy Mechanic: Christopher Jirak,
 replied 7 months ago

Glad to hear you found the recall Notice. Although it might not help tonight hopefully it will save a future headache. If any of my information has helped please give me a rating. Thank you.