Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My father-in-law has a 2000 Silverado that is used as a plow…

Customer Question
My father-in-law has a...

My father-in-law has a 2000 Silverado that is used as a plow truck. Yesterday, my brother-in-law tried to start it but the battery was dead. He hooked up a charger and went to get back in the truck but the drivers door had closed and locked. My father-in-law opened the passenger door and it set off the alarm system. After they got the alarm turned off the truck flashed the Security message. My brother-in-law tried the "30 minute reset" but it didn't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Today I replaced the battery with a good one

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the battery, cleared all the old trouble codes (I have and OBD2 reader) and tried the reset.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The message center now shows the battery message instead of the security message.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Will it at least crank now?

Are no codes shown after attempting to start?

What size truck and which engine?

No crank, no start. The dashboard lights up when key is turned on. As soon as I turn the key to "start" all the dashboard lights go out and there is no sound. No click from starter selenoid, nothing.
No codes are coming up. I cleared three old ones: loose gas cap (evap emissions), #1 cyl misfire, and another minor code from a long time ago.
Not sure about the engine size but it's a 2000 chevy silverado 1500.
I'm starting to think that there may be a loose or corroded ground wire. From what I've read, if it was the security system it would still turn over.

Are you able to do some electrical testing on the truck now?

Auto or manual transmission?

Do you know which engine?

I can't get back to it until Monday.
Auto transmission.
Not sure about the engine. I'm sure it's whatever came standard, most popular, with that model.

We kind of need to go test A to see what the result will be to know if we need to then do B or C. It may be best to do this when you are with the truck.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris