Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need to drain the gas tank to replace the fuel pump is…

Customer Question
I need to drain...

I need to drain the gas tank to replace the fuel pump is there an anti siphoning device

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Chevy. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Yes it is a 2000 suburban

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 6 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Does the truck start and run? Does the fuel pump run?

If so, you can jumper the fuel pump relay to have the fuel pump run constantly and run a line going to a tank or bucket to hold the fuel.

If the pump does not run, then you will need to lower the fuel tank and remove the fuel pump assembly to gain access to the fuel in the tank to drain the fuel. However, at that point, you might as well just install the new fuel pump assembly and put the tank back in place rather than emptying the fuel in the tank.

can i siphon the gas tank

From where? Through the filler neck? No, there is likely a check ball inside the filler neck to prevent this

or no can i siphon the gas tank

From where? Through the filler neck?

from where i put the gas in

Got it. Thank you for clearing that up.

No, you cannot siphon from there.

But if you remove the filler neck, you can likely siphon from the tank where the filler neck goes into the tank.

Do you have any further question sir?