Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have below 0 rpm showing on the guage but it goes up when…

Customer Question
I have below 0...

I have below 0 rpm showing on the guage but it goes up when you give it gas. Also after about 45 minutes of driving it will show 0 oil pressure till you stop the truck and restart it

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

Its an 04 trailblazer ext 5.3 original equipment

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TrailBlazer Ext yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed the oil and filter begore our trip from oregon to indiana

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

A mechanic recomended we put a quart of tranny fluid in it ti help gently clean it. I changed the oil when we got jere and there was alot of sludge

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with separate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - if you use a Tee piece you can keep the pressure switch plumbed in as well and so see if the low pressure light corresponds to a low pressure reading.

As if the wire is grounded out at any point then this will also turn on the light.

if this is all OK and the oil pressure is at least 1.3Bar ( 20psi) at hot idle then replace the switch

If you do have a low pressure reading and to turn on the light it will be very low about 5psi then replace the oil pump and ensure that the pump pickup in the sump hasn't come loose or is blocked

from your description its quite likley the pickup may be blocked or the pressure relief valve in the pump is sticking open

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Since the pressure issue only happens after driving for a long time does the check need to happen when the low oil pressure is indicated or just any time?

Hello

I'd do it on a warm engine as that should be good enough to show the issue

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt