Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Battery died in 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS. Drove to school and…

Customer Question
Battery died in 2007...

Battery died in 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS. Drove to school and now it won't start and the key will not come out of the ignition. It's 15 degrees out and I'm getting desperate!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The only connection is the positive terminal. Couldn't find the negative terminal. Jumped it by connecting to a bolt for the ground.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt SS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm just trying to get it started, and to get the key out of the ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It worked fine until the battery died. Then we started it, and my problem with the ignition.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Eddie, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Have you tried jump starting it yet with another vehicle? if the battery is dead, the key may not come out.

Alright, so even with the jumper cables installed the key will still not come out correct?

Correct

Alright, is it manual transmission or automatic?

Automatic

Alright, does the shifter release button come out all the way, if it's sticking any that will make the key stick in the switch, so make sure it's all the way in park and double check that the shifter release button is all the way out on the gear stick.

Done

Alright, Did that help at all?

Is the key out now? thank you.

I’m trying

Alright, if that does not work, then these circumstances, the only thing I can suggest is calling triple A if you have it as they have a lockout policy under their insurance, or calling a mobile automotive locksmith to come out and get the key out, or towing it to a repair facility. It could be the alternator pulling the battery down, and if the battery is too weak, the key won't come out.

Ok. Thank you. Have a good day.

Absolutely, thank you and best wishes. Let us know if you have any further questions.