Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 1984 Chevy k10. My choke light comes on and oil…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 1984 Chevy k10. My choke light comes on and oil pressure gauge drops while driving. After I stop and idle the pressure builds and choke light shuts off after 10 mins

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?

Oil is good not sure how old the pump is

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have looked at vacuum lines

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its cold out, and Choke seems to stay open

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
12/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 month ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

what engine do you have?

does it do this when the engine is hot or cold?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
305 engine is warm. Choke shuts off and gauges are normal upon start up. When I get a few minutes down the road oil pressure gauge drops, choke light goes on and loss of power. still driveable but nothing to get up a hill

does the engine rattle/knock when it does this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not really, Ide say it sputters

has any work been done on the engine lately?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
last year, new vacuum lines, EGR, distrubutor, wires plugs, filters, etc. routine maintenance is standard here. this issue is perplexing me

ok

i think you may have two problems here..

sense the oil pressure does drop,,the first thing you need to do is to rule out a real oil pressure problem...connect a mechanical oil pressure test gauge and check it...

as for the choke light,,i think the choke isnt coming/turning off.

you need to check the choke on the carb,,it should be wide open after 8 minutes +/-..the problem may be that the choke is just sticking or you arent getting power the the heating coil on the side of the carb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should it be wide open after 8 mins at 5-10 degrees outside?

sense you do have these problems at the same time and if the oil pressure is good.,check the wire haness.it is possible that the wires in the harness is shorting together[if so,that can be really hard to find]

yes,,the heating coil should open it after a little while

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wiring harness on the carb/choke?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about a short? any thoughts on a ground being loose?

i wouldnt think it to be a ground sense we know it has a good enough ground to start the engine

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic