Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Put they key in to crank it up twist to start nothing at…

Customer Question
Put they key in...

Put they key in to crank it up twist to start nothing at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes... lights bright not dim at all and battery good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

96 impala ss

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala SS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried new spark plugs waiting to get the distributor and rotors put on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was backfiring and dying once I crank up and put in gear to Drive I had the Egr valve done and a brand new converter but the computer read p1661 p0300 and p1441

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/27/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 5 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

P0300 ,

does it have an alarm system ?

have you check for vacuum leaks

Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-05-004A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). General Motors Engineering, in an effort to determine the root cause of catalytic converter damage, has determined that aftermarket alarm systems incorrectly installed in vehicles have the potential to cause misfire codes and damage to the converter. These alarm systems use a circuit interrupt which utilizes the ignition circuit on the vehicles. These alarm systems utilize mechanical relays and normal vehicle movement can trigger these relays to engage and disengage the ignition circuit while the vehicle is in motion. These disruptions of the ignition circuit, which occur in milliseconds, may cause more fuel to be commanded. Overtime, this dumping of fuel on and off again can cause misfire codes and ultimately damage the converter assembly. Important: Engineering could not identify any alarms that utilize solid state circuitry that would eliminate this concern. Because of this, it has been determined that all alarm systems must be routed through the starter circuit in order to avoid this condition. Dealers must be aware of this issue and take note of the wiring on vehicles with alarm systems that come in for repair, particularly for catalytic converter damage that seem to have no known root cause.

click on link to view step by step troubleshoot p0300

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician