Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu. Recently tried putting in an…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu. Recently tried putting in an electric start system and now the car will not start. I have an esc light and anti theft light on now. What are my options?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?

I can check fuses quick. How do I reset the computer?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trying to fix it myself. I just tried using an OBD port reader but it won’t connect to the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks that should be all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/27/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Hello, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this.

It sounds like the theft system may have inhibited the car during the remote start install, I have seen this happen a few times before. I would recommend disconnecting the battery for ten minutes to reset the system and then try to restart it. If it still will not start then we will need access to a scan tool that can monitor the communications network