Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We replaced the head gasket and now the car loses .5 to the…

Customer Question
We replaced the head...

We replaced the head gasket and now the car loses .5 to the amount in the reservoir of coolant every 500 plus miles. It is not in the oil, not coming out the tailpipe, not going through the heater core, does not appear to have a pinhole in the radiator or the coolant reservoir and the hoses are all good and tight. This has been happening for 4 months and my mechanic is stymied

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

2.2, we have been dealing with it since the second week of September. The head gasket was replaced the first week of August. At first it was 1,000 to 2,000 miles in between leaks now it is ever 500 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2006 Malibu

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is at the Monro garage where the head gasket work was done

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, but I do need to know what your fee is first before we connect. I did notice a smell of mothballs when we were driving in the rain, had about 175 miles out of the tank of gas and were going up a hill in the rain. that is the first and only time we smelled a naptha smell, so I do not know if we passed by something that had a box of mothballs spilled on the road or if it was the car

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the cylinder head gasket did not seal properly or if the head was not checked by a machine shop when it was removed to see if it was level and had no leaks or issues to it this can cause this fault.

If the gasket did not seal properly or if the head is not fully level or cracked a very small amount of anti freeze will slowly burn off in a cylinder in the engine over the 500-mile span.This small amount will not cause excess smoke or any issues with running rough or liquid from the tail pipe.If you are losing half the reservoir over 500 miles you won't notice this coming from the exhaust as the engine is slowly burning it off but you might be able to pull the spark plugs and check to see which tips have some white discoloration to them compared to the others.Any with white discoloration indicate coolant has slowly been burning in that cylinder and the head will need to be removed and tested/checked and a new head gasket installed.This should be done at no charge to you.

This is the most common cause I have seen before with head gasket replacement and slow loss of coolant.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi Pete, The mechanics checked that and the codes for the engine, nothing was coming up for the spark plugs. It is a mystery, thank you for your advice. We will keep adding coolant every tank of gas and plan on replacing the car this coming year.

Your welcome

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete