Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My van keeps stalling ou until it is running for at least 20…

Customer Question
My van keeps stalling...

My van keeps stalling ou until it is running for at least 20 minutes Just replace the alternator and battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Chwck engine light is not on It stalls both ways but especially while driving and I come to a stop

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 Chevy Xpress 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic I just replaced the Alternator and battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it it just started stalling out the past week it has 220,000 miles on it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does it always restart right away? Does it run good otherwise?

It does restart and runs good after it is warmed up
It stalls out though for awhile

What engine do you have?

It is an 8 cyl. Not sure. Whatever they put in the 2004 Chevy Express 2500 van. Standard engine. It has been great and still runs good after awhil of the stalling symptoms.

Since the check engine doesn't come on I suspect you either have a dirty throttle body or dirty/failing idle air control valve. I'd start by cleaning both which you can do with throttle body cleaner and a rag. If that doesn't then replace the idle air control valve. Only other thing that crosses my mind is a vacuum leak but that would usually turn on the check engine light. Here are replacement instructions for the idle speed actuator, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebabxzy4breoyxi/ace.pdf?dl=0

Thank you very helpful

No problem, I"m happy to help. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Dan, Technician