Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2004 avalanche, the drivers door components are not…

Customer Question
Hello i have a...

Hello i have a 2004 avalanche, the drivers door components are not working, window controls lock unlock courtesy lamp in the door and mirror controls, the switch is getting constant power on he orange wire(4 pin main plug) and black is grounded, right front door lock and unlock works as well as the courtesy lamp, what can I troubleshoot to find he problem. If it helps to note this is a customer car, has a Roach problem, so could be a problem from them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes, I work at a stereo shop, trying to install some speakers, all he components where working when I dry fit the door, and t Stedman but now have lost all those functions on drivers door only.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm working on it myself yes, have multimeter and any other Powe and hand tools I could need, I've checked all fuses and in this case breaker for the left door I can find, as well as disconnecting battery overnight

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just everything in the first message

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
12/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

There should be 2 orange wires with power, you mentioned one. Can you check the other?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually found the problem, wires inside the rubber door boot where broken in assuming. ING from opening and closing for however many years.
You can follow the harness to the drivers side fuse panel and unplug it from there to allow extra room to pull it into the door and find the broken wires for anyone else reading with similar issues. Picture included

Glad it is resolved, I see that other orange wire I asked about was one of the broken ones. Sorry you paid for nothing in return.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician