Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. At random times when I'm taking the…

Customer Question
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. At...

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. At random times when I'm taking the keys out of the ignition or putting them in, the car goes completely dead. No bells, no lights, keys won't come out of the ignition, can't shift into neutral, key FOB won't work on doors, 100% dead like I disconnected the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

OH the cure is to raise the hood & slam it shut, sometimes several times. I checked the fuses & but some are not clear, so I don't know if they're bad or not. I have not checked the door switches.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't really tried to fix it. If I can narrow it down to a fuse or switch I will fix it myself. Otherwise its going into the shop this week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that covers it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

When your having this problem have you check voltage at the main fuses? how the battery terminals? can you send pictures of the terminals?

We just poked around and found that there is power going to the fuse Box

sounds like you have a ignition switch issue, if you play with the position with the key does it seem to help or worsen the issue

Wiggling the key has not cured the issue, but slamming the hood down does.
Wiggling the key has not cured the issue, but slamming the hood down does. Battery terminals are clean, only about a year old.

but when its in the fail condition you have verified power at the main fuses in the fuse panel?