Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My 2004 avalanche with climate control won't turn on.

Customer Question
My 2004 avalanche with...

My 2004 avalanche with climate control won't turn on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced climate control unit and blower control module. You can turn on the unit on auto or fan and nothing happens

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope that's pretty much what it is doing

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
I have auto dual zone climate control. No controls in back seat area. I have no power at the blower control module or blower motor
12/24/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Check the big wire at the end of the resistor connector it is the ground and usually burns, wiggle the wiring with the blower on full speed and see if it comes on. This is where i would start. Extremely common and overlooked . Let me know i will be around to help. Lou
I don't have a resister pack. My is all electronic. The blower control module has 5 wires 4 large and 1 small that goes to a 5 pin connector. 3 power the module and 2 go to blower motor. I dual climate control with the digital read out that shows 60 to 90 degrees on each side. I can re ground the black wire that goes to the module. Those wires disapear in the dash somewhere.

ok, so that is being technical lol, same same.

have you checked the connection?

so the black wire in cavity C of the connector is ground, lets verify that

cavity A is red and is power from fuse BLOWER in the engine bay fuse block

cavity B is purple with white stripe its the speed control from the module

then there is the purple and black that go to the blower.

let me know what you find

Lou

I will look at the wires when I get home. I remember the module had black and red thick wires and the small one is 2 tone forgot the colors. I forgot what colors go blows motor. I did check all fuses. That might make sense with the ground the fan use to work sometimes and than it would stop blowing but you can hear the selector move through all the different elections like defrost and floor.

i know the differance between auto and manual but they all exhibit the same issues with the ground wire.

napa sells a repair kit, im like 99% sure that will be your issue.

so if anything different please let me know and i will do what I can to help

and merry Christmas.

be safe.

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Checking back, have you had any luck? Lou
It is working again. I ended up popping the large fuse for the blower messing with the module. I never checked the big fuses after I put in the module only before I did.
Good deal, glad you got it . Have a good rest of the year :)
Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician