Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Rough idle on 2001 Silverado when starting up in morning..

Customer Question
Rough idle on 2001...

Rough idle on 2001 Silverado when starting up in morning.. Lasts about 2 mins... Come back 15 mins later starts/runs fine.. No other problems other than when sitting overnight. I checked for intake manifold gaskets for leaks-- none. Changed bank 1 #1 o2 sensor.. MAF sensor cleaned out.. I can let truck sit all day, starts & runs good.. Only problem when sitting overnight... Temp in morning or 12 hours later are the same.. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Changed out Bank 1 sensor 1 new sensor.. Did not change out any other ones... When problem occurs, no codes are dropped... Just the rough idling for a couple mins. then runs perfect...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is a Chevy 5.3l Silverado 4X4.. I had it at a chevy dealer, they THINK it is a intake manifold gasket... I tried with the spraying of brake clean on the intake gaskets when starting up.. No change in the running of it, so, I can't really go with the gasket problem.. I am looking for a definite answer, NOT a guess it is this or that....

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just what the heck is causing this... Thank you....

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/24/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
It did sound like intake gaskets or a manifold leak to me . Since you already checked that the next thing would be fuel pressure. Leave a gauge on overnight and see if pressure jumps to 60psi or more with first key turn. That is where i would start. Lou
why does it only do it in the morning? Truck can sit there for the next 10 hours & have no problem?

fuel pressure test will rule out fuel pump

it can bleed down overnight and cavitate

is there a huge temp differance in your area? from night to morning?

If it bleeds down overnight it will bleed down 10 hours later.. Temps have been within 5 degrees night/or day.. Today different due to snow... But problem was there with a +/- 5 degree swing.. I don't want to look at a head gasket problem & find out it wasn't the problem.. Big $$$$....

lol, ok , i can see you dont want to follow my advice, i will opt out.

best wishes,

Lou

It seems you don't agree with my logic either.... Thank you for your time.....
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

you have sticky valves. run a can of seafoam in the intake and gas tank. problem solved.

hows it going?

do you still need help?

We fixed our problem(not valves).. My neighbor found the problem... Thank you for your help...

very glad to hear

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician