Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My fuel gauge on my 03 silverado duramax goes from full to…

Customer Question
My fuel gauge on my...
My fuel gauge on my 03 silverado duramax goes from full to empty all the time and it never gives me the actual reading of how much fuel i have how can i fix this problem?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The most common cause is a failed fuel level sender, you will want to start by testing senders, then check wiring, if both are good replace cluster. Measure the fuel in each tank, and then using a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM), measure the resistance of the sender in each tank. The senders range from 40 ohms full to 250 ohms empty. For the primary tank, check from the Engine Control Module (ECM) Blue connector pin 30 Purple wire to pin 64 Black wire on the Black connector. For the secondary tank, check from the Engine Control Module (ECM) Blue connector pin 43 Dark Blue wire to pin 64 Black wire on the Black connector. Replace the sender that does not read correct for amount of fuel actually in the tank. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.