Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Check engine light not on with key on, Not on alt all with…

Check engine light not...

Check engine light not on with key on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Not on alt all with key on prior to crank

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1992 Silverado 350v8 4 wdrive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes -performed tuneup replaced all sensors except knock

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also takes 3-4 tries to crank running rich once warm runs just fine- some hesitation before it gets warm

12/23/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you able to flash codes at all from the engine computer?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

No flash codes cannot creat

Are you saying the light will not flash at all?

Have you checked power and ground to the engine computer to make sure they are all present?

all seem to be the same no wiring changes recent
I have not checked at the computer

O.k., with it running rich when cold and no check engine light coming on this sounds like the common fault of the engine computer itself.The engine computer controls the check engine light and it should turn on this light when the key is on as well as flash codes.I have run into several cases where the engine computer fails internally causing this issue here with it needing to be replaced.

You will need to have the check engine light circuit tested leading from the computer to make sure this is the cause.I may be able to locate how to test this with a test light or multi meter if you want just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I had a windshield leak that when I pulled the computer to look I did find some corrosion on the connectors- I cleaned and scraped off the pins but couldn't do anything with plugs - other than spray cleaner and blow with air --could poor signal cause issue as well
Would like to have the how to test circuit with multi meter

If any water entered inside the engine computer through the connections it damaged the circuits fairly quick in the computer to where the computer has to be replaced.

Looking for the diagram info now will post back here shortly.

It looks like terminal A5 ( brown/white wire) at the ECM controls the check engine light.Usually, it should ground with the key first on to turn on the check engine light.If it does not right at the ECM itself then the ECM needs to be replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzkdl12uocx5foh/eng-12-23.png?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician