Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Certified tech here, working on a 2011 aveo. when you turn…

Customer Question
Certified tech here, working...

Certified tech here, working on a 2011 aveo. when you turn the key to the run position without going to the start position the starter engages and runs continuously. engine will not start but continues to crank nonstop

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It cranks in all shifter positions

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the starter, ignition switch and the starter relay. scantool comes up with a p0615 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/23/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 4 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

Have you completed the Testing for PO615?
.

When the ignition switch is placed in the START position the ECM verifies that the transmission is in Park or Neutral. If it is, the ECM then supplies 12 V to the control circuit of the starter relay. When this occurs, battery voltage is supplied through the switch of the starter relay to the start terminal of the starter solenoid. The ECM monitors the voltage on the starter relay control circuit. If the voltage is not what is expected, then DTC P0615 sets.
.

IF you have itis likely the ECM

.

Circuit/System Testing

Ignition OFF, disconnect the starter relay.
Ignition OFF and scan tool disconnected, open and close the driver door, and wait 1 minute. Test for less than 5 Ohms between the ground circuit terminal 85 and ground.
¤
If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 86 and the ground circuit terminal 85.
Transmission in park, turn the ignition switch between the OFF and START positions. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the positions.
¤
If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
¤
If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

.

.
If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..

You close the question without a response?

thanks

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics