Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I Have A 2011 chevy impala. Replaced the power steering pump…

Customer Question
Hello. I Have A...

Hello. I Have A 2011 chevy impala. Replaced the power steering pump 2 timesw its works for about 5 min. then the steering gets tight again and stays that way

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I replaced it . it was whinning.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

Fluid is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just replaced the p/s pump 2 times with a rebuilt. same thing both times. works for a short time then hard steering again

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH replied 6 months ago
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** it tight before you replaced the pump, or was it just noisey?

I replaced the pump 2 times. Works for 15 minutes then hard steering again

but before you replaced it, was the original just noisey, or was it stiff turning also?

The pump was whinning. So I replaced it
But steering was good

ok, then you got a bad pump the 2 times, the only available rebuild for these is an A-1 cordone, and they have a very poor quality control, I went through 5 of them before I got a good one, your only other option is to buy a new one,Tim

Thanks Tim. That's what I thought

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Is there a reason you wont rate me?? I do not get paid unless you do??

Hi, my name is ***** ***** only way to disable them is to disconnect the head light switch, this is easy to do and takes about 5 seconds, there is a video showing this, would like a link to the video?

below is a link to a video to disconnect the head light switch,Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bHNGtY5S5w

.