Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Fuel coming out exhaust. Turned into a gas hog. Chevy half…

Customer Question
Fuel coming out exhaust ...

Fuel coming out exhaust

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Turned into a gas hog

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Chevy half ton truck 1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

They changed plugs plug wires injectors and the truck runs rough and mileage is down and holding your hand at the exhaust you can feel droplet of unburent fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is my grandson truck and he is quite upset

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
We have changed the spark plugs, injectors, plug wires, and the truck runs rough checked the timing but the exhaust still containers a lot of unburnt fuel
This is my grandsons truck and he is quite upset
12/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Tell me, is the check engine light on while the engine is running?Chris
Do not know as the truck is out at my sons home
I see. Well if the check engine light is on, then a diagnostic trouble code should be set in the PCM (engine computer) and that code would need to be checked. Most auto parts stores will check the code for you for no charge. Then you would know which sensor or system is causing the truck to run too rich. Now if there are no codes, then I would be suspecting the PCM itself as the cause of the rich fuel condition.Chris

So if there are any trouble codes, please let me know and I will guide you from there.

Chris