Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have a 2009 chevy cobalt ls. I need to pass e check so I can…

Customer Question
Have a 2009 chevy...

Have a 2009 chevy cobalt ls. I need to pass e check so I can get my plates. I had a few dtcs come up so I fixed the problem or so I thought.. the code I was getting was p0013 exhaust camshaft position cmp actuator solenoid control circuit. I took it to a local shop mechanic, They told me I would have to replace my Mass air filter sensor and my air filter. so I went to auto zone spent about $85 went home disconnected the negative from the battery and replaced the sensor and air filter. I also saw a video on youtube of someone who saved themselves from a massive headache because they were having this same problem by simply cleaning out the camshaft sensor with a few q tips. so I did that as well. I then went and bought a OBD2 scanner tested it on a friends vehicle and it cleared his no problem and did not come back. Obviously I intend on fixing any and all problems wrong with the vehicle but with Christmas right around the corner and various other bills I simply do not have the money to do so at this moment and I need to get my car cleared from e check so I can get plates and have a vehicle to drive to and from work. I plan on fixing it by the middle of January but I do not have time to wait that long for e check or I will not have a job! I was unaware that certain models had a such thing as permanent DTCS on them. HELP... I do not have much to work with right now but I may be able to afford one more repair today and I work from noon until 6pm.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time the filter was replaced? How has your mileage been lately?

Probably a few months ago. up until bout 2 to 3 days ago when I replaced it again. my mileage has been normal. when I was driving it. the car has been sitting for about a months because my plates are expired they expired November 24th. but no issues when I was driving it before then. it wasn't until my car was towed back in October that I experienced any trouble. neither of my turn signals click or register after making a turn they just stay on.. and the left one to shift down to signal I am turning left does not stick I have to push up and then down for it to signal I am turning. there is also no click like normal after completing the turn. I have to manually shut the signals back off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I did as the mechanic instructed I should do. as I previously stated above. mass air flow sensor replaced, air filter replaced and cleaned out the camshaft sensor which did have some gunk/dirty motor oil in it before I cleaned it. I can not afford to hire a shop mechanic right now. I just found out I have a child on the way. so life only gets better right!? haha I'm excited but extremely stressed out at the same time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing that I can think of. thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 6 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

what are all the codes???

Roy

some checks for the code.

also, this may be a clogged screen for the actuator. what you can try is using a product called sea foam and add it to the oil. run the engine for at 1 hour at idle. then change the oil/filter. then see if the code comes back. the q tip trick rarely works is not the issue.

Roy

Inspect each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly for the following:

* Torn screens
* Debris on the screens
* Debris clogging the oil ports
* Missing screens
* Oil seepage at the solenoid connector pins

10. Inspect for the following conditions:

* Excessive timing chain play
* Proper installation of the CMP actuator assembly

11. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the CMP actuator solenoid.

are you there