Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Radiator fan motor does not run when engine gets hot. I

radiator fan motor does...

radiator fan motor does not run when engine gets hot. I checked voltage on the connector and there was no voltage being supplied to the fan motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?

Checked all fuses on the dash mounted fuse box all were good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2006 Chevrolet Aveo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. checked voltage with meter at fan motor connector. No voltage to fan motor

12/21/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

There are 2 fuses under the hood in the fuse box to check. EF2 and EF3 if these are blown then the cooling fan won't come on. Please check these and let me know.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
I was unaware of those two fuses. I'll check them and let you know what I find. It will be later today before I can get back to the house and to the car. What voltage should i see at the fan motor connector - 12V or something less?

You will see or should see a full 12 when the fan is on high speed, less when it is on a low speed as it works through a resistor. I am not sure how much lower it is, but I believe about half so about 6 volts.

Thank you for the rating and let me know how you make out!

It was the 30A fuse in the engine compartment. Thanks for your help

You are very welcome! Really glad it was a nice easy problem and it's solved!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician